|Parkinson's Resources of Oregon is a nationally recognized non-profit located here in the Pacific Northwest with a singular focus of improving the quality of life in our community. When the organization was founded in 1980, the principles of peer support and empowerment through information were key to the mission. Over the years, Parkinson's Resources of Oregon (PRO) has grown and expanded to better respond to the needs of our membership. We are governed by a volunteer board of directors and more than one hundred additional volunteers are active with our support groups, program planning, committee work, and office support.
Keeping focus on our clients and their needs, PRO serves the Parkinson's community of both Oregon and southern Washington. While support groups remain a central part of our program, our scope of service has expanded and now includes:
- Support Groups: A network of support groups serve as a resource for educational and emotional support to individuals with Parkinson's and their loved ones.
- Wellness Classes: Weekly classes formatted specifically to address the balance and movement and communication deficits of those with Parkinson's. Classes held throughout the region.
- Personal Response to Inquiries: Via the HELPLINE, callers access literature about the disease, learn about local resources and find a sympathetic listener.
- Advocacy Efforts for PD Research and Better Care: Until a cure is found, we will continue to advocate for increased attention to and funding for Parkinson's disease research and better long term care.
- Educational Programs: PRO sponsors presentations on various topics of interest to the person with Parkinson's disease, including a large annual conference.
- Social Work Services: Short term counseling and case management.
- Bi-Monthly Newsletter: Copies of the newsletter are sent to members and supporters, public libraries, neurologists, and other service agencies.
- Lending Library: Books and videos on topics related to Parkinson's are available for loan.
- Long Term Care Training: A 5-part training program for caregiving professionals.
Mission Vision Values
Parkinson's Resources of Oregon helps people to find a balance between their hope for the future and their need to focus on quality of life in their day-to-day activities. It has been said that Parkinson's disease is not a disease you die from, but a disease you learn to live with. It is in helping people to maximize the quality of living with PD that Parkinson's Resources of Oregon has focused its mission and programs.
Parkinson's Resources of Oregon is a leader in delivering relevant, accessible, quality programs and services to enhance the lives of individuals managing the consequences of Parkinson's Disease.
To empower individuals to meet the challenges of living with Parkinson's Disease through information, education, personal support and advocacy for a cure.
We believe that a positive and caring attitude and respect for the individual is essential in every thing we do; we strive for excellence in the programs we deliver; and we will actively collaborate with other organizations that make a positive difference in the lives of people affected by Parkinson's disease.
Parkinson's Resources is a nonprofit organization described in Section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code that provides services in Oregon and southern Washington for individuals with Parkinson's disease their families and caregivers. Our tax ID number is 93-0905013. PRO began serving the victims of Parkinson's disease in 1980.